Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Holding Fast and Pressing on as a Romantic

I am currently taking a Ladies Bible Study Lecture Series by Beth Moore.  This week she talked about how God is a Romantic.  We are studying Revelation 19 where God prepared the bride in fine linen and perfection and the Groom has anticipated her arrival they enjoy the beautiful marriage supper then Christ mounts his white horse and gathers the Bride and they ride to avenge the earth. It is a beautiful picture.  While she was teaching she asked the question, "Are any of you Romantics?"  I lowered my head and thought, "Unfortunately, yes."  She went on to contrast the Romantic with the Cynic.

As I have pondered the lesson and expanded more in my mind on what a Romantic is, I will tell you that I have suffered much at the hands of being a Romantic and I thought how much easier life would be as a Cynic.  Let me just share with you what I mean.  What makes me a Romantic you may ask.  I see other people through the lens of their ultimate potential.  I see who they can be and hope that is contained in them.  I look at my relationships and believe the best of the people around me.  I do not default to how some one could harm me or betray me.  It never occurs to me to think that way about them.  If I become concerned about my relationship with someone I assume it is me.  I default to reviewing in my head, "Did I say something wrong?, Am I misjudging them?, Do I have an unrealistic expectation?"  I believe in happy endings and that everyone can chose to look at life positively and even difficult things will be made easier.  I want everyone to get along and respect one another. I am in love with my husband because I look at him through eyes of love and self-sacrifice not what he owes me.  I am not saying I believe that things are all rosy and wonderful but I do see the potential for good.

I have been called idealistic, Pollyanna, naive, unrealistic, innocent, not very smart and way too trusting.   I have been ridiculed for my outlook on life, betrayed without seeing it coming, hurt by unkindness, and shocked and baffeled by those around me.  I care deeply, I want what is best  for others and yet it does not always work out well to live life that way.   I began to ponder what it means to be a Cynic and whether that would be a better way of life for me.  A cynic may be smarter but they do not trust. They are protected but are suspicious and believe the worst of others.  A cynic is not disappointed because they believe everything is going to fall apart anyway so why hope. A cynic gets ahead in life because they believe they must look out for number one.  A cynic does not allow people close because they only see here and now and do not believe in potential.  The world if full of Cynics. 

I tried to live as a Cynic after one particularly shocking hurt but I was miserable.  I suffered from anger and depression.  Thinking the world is a miserable place and the people in it not worth my time was not a beneficial way for me to live.  I will continue to live as a Romantic.  I believe that is what God wants for us.  He wants us to see our potential in the way those around us view us and that is why we are to fellowship with one another.  We are to speak the truth in love and allow that love to cover a multitude of sin.  Christ did it for us and life is much more fulfilling for me when I live it with love and forgiveness.  I can view things realistically without being cynical. I am willing to risk hurt and betrayal and pain and disappointment because my love for another may the thing that helps them hold on to their faith and helps them to press on to maturity.   My prayer is that God strengthens me as I Hold Fast and Press On to live as a Romantic. 

Holding Fast and Pressing On,
Teresa

1 comment:

  1. Just for clarification, this is one aspect of the character of God and one that I can relate to. To those of you who do not posses this attribute I am sure you possess attributes I do not nor ever will possess prior to heaven. I love the diversity of God's people. It is encouraging to know that something that is viewed as a weakness is valued by God.

    ReplyDelete